Thursday, March 27, 2014

Mason Jar Herb Garden

Hello everyone!

   I know it's been awhile. This semester has been jammed packed! I knew I was going to be expecting a lot of work, with taking 20 credit hours, but it's not only homework and studying that has kept me busy. A lot of outside school work and commitments have been taking up my time. I guess that is what happens when you are this_close to finishing!

Anyway, I've been wanting to do some more projects. We are in the middle of remodeling our right side basement (we have a partial) into my croffice! Craft room/office. We just laid the flooring and will be grouting it soon. I can't wait to share it with you. However, my stuff is all over the place and I can't find anything I need to craft up some projects. Wahh wahh.

So I went on Pinterest because spring has gotten me motivated to garden. I love fresh herbs and knew it would be beneficial to have some on hand. So I made a mason jar herb garden!


This really is too easy to be a "DIY." The products I used are: quart sized mason jars, river pebbles, organic potting mix, and rosemary, parsley, chives, and cilantro. I love how the herbs are in a biodegradable "pot" and the whole thing could be planted into the ground! I am new to gardening so a lot of this stuff is just fascinating haha.


Anyway, I washed the pebbles and placed them at the bottom of the mason jar about a third up. This helps to keep the plants from drowning since there are no holes in the bottom of the jar. Otherwise, the roots would submerge in the water and the plant would die. Next, I filled the remaining space with potting mix. I kind of feel bad because I had to break up a lot of the roots in order to get the plant to fit in my jar. I would recommend being patient and find wide mouthed mason jars. I did not. So I'm hoping they will live. Maybe they will and it's just another newbie gardener worry!

I was originally going to hang them on a pallet skid, but I kind of like having them in my coke crate. ;)


I would still like to add oregano and basil but I have to get seeds for those unless I can find some seedlings at a plant store! I like how there is the perfect amount of room in my coke crate and I can move it around the sunroom to keep it in the sun. The rosemary I believe is the only one that needs full sun. However, the weather still thinks it is winter time and gave us some flurries this week. So, they are in my kitchen until it warms up again.

Have you started gardening yet?


Linking Up:

No comments:

Post a Comment